My little Walter

Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Noble Gesture

On my morning visit I was surprised to find Walter had some hay in his corral. This could only mean that the kid did not get around to feeding him last night or that they are not coming home until late this evening or perhaps both.

Have I mentioned that when Walter is eating he is oblivious to others?  He flat out ignored me as I watched him eat.  He then proceeded to his water barrel and his head really went down deep so it was obvious the kid had not filled it up.

I came back with my milk jugs as our water hose wont reach all the way to his corral.  He only drank two and a half gallons.

I was vigilant all afternoon but I never saw the kid feed or water him.  His mother's car was in the driveway and when I saw it leave I went back with more water.  He was really thirsty by now and as I was watering him the owner's dog entered the corral and peered through the fence to see what was going on.

I am kind of afraid of him because he can get mean in a New York second but it was obvious he was thirsty too!  If he had come around to my house I would have given him water but I was afraid to do so over the fence and then he turn on me and bite me.

This is when Walter did something unexpected...he got a drink and he put his face to the dogs tongue and released the water so he too could get a drink!  I was so touched by this noble gesture on his part it left me in awe of him!

To reward him I fed him a little extra horse pellets this evening :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow,,, never heard anything like that. What a horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't animals amazing? If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it either.

      Even though that dog looks well fed, it is not because they feed him. He goes around eating stuff people throw out along the side of the road and like Walter they forget to water him.

      Delete