My little Walter

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I am at a loss...

While I love that Walter has been at Mom's for about a month now...I am at a loss as to why?  It seems odd that his owner would let him stay this long.  Did the cops issue him a ticket for the filthy conditions of his corral?  Is he even in town?

As you know, while I get up early to give mother her medication...for me bedtime is 5:00 a.m. and I usually do not go outside until 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. unless it is trash day.  By his body language I can pretty much tell if he has been fed.  What I have witnessed is that lately he has been given a very small amount of hay usually around noon.  The big bale of hay his owner bought last month remains covered and untouched.

Last week before we left for Uvalde, I made sure I filled up his water container and having this sixth sense that I do...I filled up an additional tub for him.  Glad we made it back home after our near run in with the deer and the eighteen wheeler...but what if we had not?  Poor Walter would have run out of water by now and his owners would not have had a clue.

Friday, I saw that he appeared to be eating and I went to check it out. It once again broke my heart that he was eating his own feces.  We got back late Thursday after stopping at the grocery store and as upset as I was with what happened I forgot all about Walter!

Got in my car and immediately headed to buy him his horse pellets.  He was famished and devoured them!  His owner is well aware that there is no more native grasses or anything for Walter to graze on.  What little he feeds him is not enough for a horse his size.

Dulcinea looked hungry too but I can not take on two horses and besides she has an owner that cares a little more than Walter's.

The guys at the store put his 50 lb bag of pellets in my trunk but I have to tear it open and take down a little at a time until I fill up my five gallon food grade buckets with the corresponding gamma seals to help preserve its freshness.

Walter is a smart horse and he realizes that there is food in my trunk. He has been smelling and licking the outside of my car since then. Today, I was finally able to get down the last of the pellets but the smells still lingers.

Every time I go outside he comes running up to me expecting to be fed, lol, he is starting to act like Ralph.

Speaking of Ralph, yesterday I saw him coming into the yard.  Did not jump on the washing machine or on top of dad's old car to meow.  Wondered what was wrong? Looked out the window and he was grooming himself like he tends to do after he eats...jajajaja...wonder who fed him now?  :D

Today as I was feeding Walter on the north side of the property so his owners would not see (they are on the south side) and become even more irresponsible...Ralph came up to my pant leg meowing and expecting to be fed as well.  No free meals at the neighbors today Ralph?

Made him wait but fed him a good meal as another cold front will arrive tonight and besides he has been sneezing a lot lately :(


No comments:

Post a Comment