My little Walter

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Oscar Update

I do not know why the dogs choose the worst times to get sick or in mischief.  We were going out of town early Wednesday morning when I went to feed them.  I noticed that Oscar's jaw was swollen. I looked at him closer to see if he had gotten in a dog fight but that did not seem to be the case.

As usual, we were running late, so I gave him a tablet of Acetaminophen in case he was experiencing pain.  Thursday the cold front came in and there was no way I was going anywhere, so I gave him a tablet hidden in a hot dog with each meal.  I did the same for Tammie as the poor thing has not had the benefit of seeing a vet to extract her quills, though most are gone or at least not visible.

Yesterday was another struggle to try to get Oscar in the car. It is like he is afraid or it reminds him of his last visit to the vet.  Since I gave Tammie the last three Acepromazine pills to no avail, I had none left for him.  Each pill costs $40.00 Mexican pesos which for Mexico it is a lot.  I have already spent $200.00 Mexican pesos ( 5 pills x 40 pesos) on Tammie and she has never even made it inside the vehicle.

40.00 Mexican pesos divided by $18.00 exchange rate = $2.22 per pill

$2.22 USD times 5 pills = $11.10 USD

The month of December is highly congested at the International bridges. Taking into account that yesterday it was Friday and a weekend, you are looking at crossing times of one to one and half hours on both sides of the border.  I love Oscar but I am not spending three hours in traffic without him being sedated.

It costs $3.75 USD to cross the border into Mexico and $26.00 Mexican pesos to cross from Mexico to the United States.  I am looking at $5.19 in tolls.  Went online to 1-800-Petmeds and found the Acepromazine 25 mg. pills selling for .90 US cents each, a lot cheaper than what they sell for in Ciudad Acuña.

Since I have a vet prescription for Azium 0.5 mg and Clindamycin 150 mg ordered them online as well.  I thought I would have a problem since he is a Mexican veterinary but that was not the case as his name was on the list of veterinarians for this area.

I recall a couple of years ago, I once got my eyeglass prescription in Piedras Negras, Coahuila. They honored the prescription at the Del Rio Walmart since we are on the border and people like myself who can not afford health insurance go to Mexico to seek medical treatment.

I called the veterinary clinic to let them know they would be getting a call from them.  I inquired if they spoke English and his wife said they did.  Forgot that many Mexican professionals send their children to private schools in Del Rio. He has grown children and a son-in-law that work for him, so there are no language barriers, thank goodness!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder why, after all the attention you give to both the dogs, they don't have any more trust than they seem to. Is Tammie really and truly pregnant? If she is, as soon as the pups are weaned I would gather them up and take them to an animal shelter. Hopefully they can find good homes for them, but you shouldn't have to worry about another generation of dogs to care for and try to keep out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could answer that question myself Gypsy. Though Oscar trusts me a lot more than Tammie ever has and I have been feeding her for almost two years.

    The granddaughter of a friend of my mother's posted pictures of Tammie's last two litters and we were able to adopt them out to good homes. However, Tammie moved three of her last five pups and I was not able to get them adopted.

    Now her son whom I have named Red comes around but I have yet to figure out if he has a home or if he is homeless as well.

    ReplyDelete