My little Walter

Saturday, November 7, 2015

3 Dogs plus 5 Puppies.............HELP!!!!

A long time has gone by since I have made a post mainly due to my computer problems. That does not mean that nothing has been going on with Walter, Dulcinea, Pedrito, Tammy (formerly Tontolina) and the latest addition Boris.


Tammy, named after country singer Tammy Wynette of Stand by Your Man fame is a very docile dog that is completely dominated by Pedrito.  He is like a pimp, gives her protection but she has to pay him with food or body.


Tammy and Pedrito showed up together and though I have been feeding her for at least 10 months, she has never (nor has Pedrito permitted) that I pet her.

In this time she has had three litters but she has not had them in mom's property but in an adjacent vacant lot owned by me.  I have never seen her litters...that is not until last Wednesday!  She brought me her five puppies!


During this last pregnancy I fed her well and you could tell she was grateful.  I did it with a double purpose, for her to have a healthy pregnancy and for her to be able to trust me.  The reason I wanted her trust was so I can take her to the vet to get her fixed.  This poor dog is just bringing more strays into our neighborhood who in turn will make the stray population grow even larger.

We do not have a County Animal shelter.  Only the city of Del Rio does and they do not take animals from the county.  I am at a loss as to what to do.  Short of taking out an ad in the newspaper or setting up a cardboard box with  a "free puppies to a good home" sign on the main drag...I am at a loss :(



I never wanted one dog let alone eight....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Tammy does not want to nurse them anymore, she runs from them or bites them if they try.



I got to say I am impressed with Boris a big black dog that is a baby himself at around six months old.  He plays with them, cleans them and also disciplines them if they misbehave.

Boris playing with one of the pups
that is sitting on Pedrito's head

Your suggestions are welcomed.

6 comments:

  1. There are not any good answers that I can think of...
    Know someone in Del Rio who can take them to the shelter for you? You have a place in Houston... I'll bet they have a shelter. (Shelter is a misnomer,,part of the no 'good' answers)

    Some type of live trap, a deal with the local vets & get all the strays fixed?

    Good luck with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know anyone in Del Rio that would do that favor for me.

      Taking them to Houston is out of the question as my mother is allergic to pet hair and dander and her allergies would kill her.

      Tammy is around 40 or 50 pounds and even with a live trap, it would be impossible for me to lift by myself. I think I will try the local veterinarians and see if they can help me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Trouble, I certainly am going to need it.

      Delete
  3. I sure wish I was closer as I would take one of them. Too bad you aren't closer to the Houston SPCA. I watch Animal Cops Houston every chance I get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were closer as well Gypsy. Not just because of the puppies but from reading your blog and your responses in others, we tend to think alike on many topics.

      Delete