My little Walter

Saturday, January 28, 2023

My little Karen

Post for Friday, January 6, 2023

Thursday, January 5, 2023, I took the quintuplets to be fixed and was given the bad news that Karen had hepatitis

I followed the vet's instructions and had them sleep by themselves in the mudroom to give them time to heal. I checked on them throughout the night and they all seemed to be doing fine even Karen.

In the morning I fed them and then allowed them to go outside as usual. I was glad to see that Karen ate well and I went about my day. I go outside often to change their water, chase off the neighbor's free-range chickens, hang clothes, and do yard work.

From left to right Karen (whose face you can not see), Mikey, Sam, and Darla. The only one missing was Mónica.


It was on one of those outings that I saw Karen laying down in the full sun and I went to see why. I woke her up but she was not moving much so I picked her up and brought her inside. I tried to make her drink water and some food but she wanted neither. That is when I realized that she was in her last hours.

I placed her in a little box on top of the ice chests in the kitchen and held her paw as I reassured her that I would be with her till the end. There was no doubt she suffered, her little body would twitch and she would groan. She passed away at 3:05 p.m. on Friday, January 6, 2023.


The reason she has that green color on her tummy is that the Mexican Vet's tattoo feral cats so other veterinarians know that the cat has been spayed or neutered and they do not have to open her again. In the USA they notch one of their ears.

I have not wanted to make a post on Walter's World because I have been sad and needed time to process her passing. My cousin was livid, he said the vet should not have operated on her once he realized she was sick. However, I disagree and told him I was glad I found out she was ill or I would have wondered why a six-month-old cat would have died suddenly. 

She was so sweet and loving and I am grateful for the six months that she was in my life.



2 comments: