My little Walter

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

My morbid fear

I have to first mention that I have a morbid fear of mice and snakes. When we first moved from the city to the county many moons ago there were hardly any people, as a matter of fact, we were the tenth family to move to this then new subdivision.

We were the only family on this street for many years. There were a lot of snakes then including but not limited to rattlers. Thankfully the ones I came across were brightly colored and stood out.  My dad came very close to being bitten by a coralillo snake curled up by his banana plants. Needless to say after beheading it he also burnt down the plants!

We have always had cats since moving to this location and have lost several to those darn snakes!  One of the reasons my parents had a cinder block fence built over chain link or other material was precisely to make it harder for snakes to come into the property.

I do not know if to credit the cinder block fence or the fact that more people started moving here bringing with them their cats that snake sightings declined.

When Blanca (Momma cat) first started coming around I did not want to feed her, but I always gave her water as Del Rio is in the desert and gets very hot during the summer. While she can eat mice and fast food litter bugs throw out their window she is not capable of being able to open a water faucet.

One day I was going out the kitchen door when I saw this greenish/grayish colored snake and freaked out!  That is when I noticed that it was dead and had obviously been killed by Blanca who was very pleased with herself and puzzled at my reaction.


I have no idea what kind of snake it was whether it was poisonous or not...it did not matter...I was just glad she killed it and it was then that she earned a place in our family and in exchange I also adopted her three kittens...Paquito, Rudy, and Nico.

Two days ago JO a fellow blogger made a post that made my hair stand on end http://momslittlerunaway.blogspot.com/2019/04/i-broke-my-own-rule.html

You all be careful out there.

2 comments:

  1. By the Markings and the Tail that was definitely a Rattler but It appears to have been severely crushed in places that would cause death but were no from Momma Cat. She might have brought it home for a snack.
    We had a late evening visit by the Campfire while in Quartzsite from One but he just change course and left us alone.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...it was a rattler?...yikes!!!!! This is the only snake she has ever brought home but for a long time she would also bring both live and dead mice.

      I remember the snake that came to visit you during your campfire in Quartzsite, AZ. I recall commenting that I would have ran inside the house and not come out until daylight the following day.

      Delete